Displays shooting, metering, AF, and film advance modes; shutter speed, aperture, frame counter, and battery level. Illumination provided.
97 percent vertically and horizontally
0.72x( -1 diopter with 50mm lens at infinity)
-1 diopter (20mm eye relief)
Interchangeable (9 types)
Quick-return half mirror (Transmission: reflaction ratio of 37:63). No vignetting with EF 1200mm f/5.6 lens or a shorter lens.
Enabled with depth-of-field preview button.
TTL-AREA-SIR with a CMOS sensor
Area AF with 45 focusing points (Custom Function No. 13 can limit this to 11)
Focusing Point Selection
Automatic selection: Focusing point camera-selected. Manual selection: Focusing point manually-selected. Eye Controlled Focus: Focusing point eye-selected.
1. One-Shot AF: Autofocus stops when focus is achieved. AF lock enabled. Shutter releases only when focus is achieved. 2. Predictive AF with Al Servo AF: Tracks subject movement up to the start of exposure. Predictive AF enabled. The shutter can be released at anytime regardless of focus (predictive AF control takes effect during continuous shooting), no in-focus indicator (blinks at 8 Hz only if AF fails). 3. Manual focusing: Enabled with the focusing ring when the lens focus mode switch is set to MF (or M). 4. Full- time manual focusing: Enabled with the electronic focusing ring during continuous shooting (except during film exposure). 5. In- focus indicator: Lights in viewfinder and beeps. (Beeper can be disabled.)
AF Focus Indictor
Superimposed focusing point in viewfinder.
AF Working Range
EV 0-18 (at ISO 100)
AF Assist Method
Beam emitted automatically by the attached EOS Speedlite when necessary.
TTL max. aperture metering with a 21 zone silicon photocell. 1. Evaluative metering (linkable to any point) 2. Partial metering (approx. 8.5% of viewfinder at center) 3. Center spot metering (approx. 2.4% of viewfinder at center) 4. Spot metering (linked to focusing point at approx. 2.4% of viewfinder) During continuous shooting with metering modes (3) and (4), the first shot is metered in real time and the meter reading is locked (AE lock) for subsequent shots in the same burst. 5. Multi-spot metering (Max. 8 multi-spot metering entries) 6. Center-weighted averaging metering
EV 0-20 (at 20°C/ 68°F with 50mm f/1.4lens, ISO 100
1. Program AE(shiftable) 2. Shutter speed-priority AE ( in 1/3,1/2 or full stops, safety shift enable with Custom Function) 3. Aperture-priority AE (in 1/3,1/2 or full stops, safety shift enabled with Custom Function) 4. Depth-of-field AE 5. E-TTL program flash AE (high-speed sync, FE lock, and wireless control enabled with 550EX) 6.A-TTL program flash AE 7. TTL program flash AE 8. Manual 9. Bulb
ISO Film Speed Range
ISO 6-6400 (Set automaticaly with DX-coded film at ISO 25-5000)
1. Auto exposure bracketing (AEB) : +/- 3 stops in 1/3 stop increments. Standard exposure, underexposure, and overexposure sequence. Repeated bracketing enabled according to current film advance mode. With self-timer, all three bracketed shots are taken in the continuous shooting mode regardless of the film advance mode. 2. Manual exposure compensation: +/-3 stops in 1/3-stop increments set with the Quick Control Dial or exposure compensation button on the Main Dial. 3. AEB and manual exposure compensation can be set together.
Auto AE Lock: Operates in One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved. Manual AE lock: AE lock button activates AE lock in all metering modes. Multiple exposures: Max 9 multiple exposures. Cancels automatically after all mutiple exposures are taken.(Cancellable and resettable at any time.)
Vertical-travel, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled.
30 to 1/8000 sec in 1/3-stops, X-sync at 1/200 sec.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
Electronically controlled with 10 sec or 2 sec delay. Lamp blinks ( at 2Hz, then at 8Hz for the remaining two sec) Self-timer countdown on LCD panel. Self timer cancellable by turning the main switch to L.
Quick-lock, three-pin remote control connector provided (N3 type.)
1. Hot shoe: X-sync direct contacts 2. Below camera balck latch: JIS B-type socket (threaded) * Flash units connected to (1) and (2) can be used and fired simultaneously.
Automatic loading with a sprocketless system. After film is loaded and the back is closed, it advances to frame 1 automatically, taking about 1 sec.
Film advance system: Automatic film advance with built-in motor. EOS-3 Single and Continuous shooting. With Power Drive Booster PB-E2: Single, Low Continuous, and High Continuous.
At the end of the roll, automatic film rewind with a built-in motor. Midroll rewind possible. Approx. 4.5 sec. for 24-ex. film and approx. 6.5 sec. for 36-ex. film Rewind noise: 59 dB (High-speed rewind), 49 dB (Silent rewind)
Film Advance Mode
One-Shot AF / Manual Focus
Al Servo AF
EOS-3 + BP-E1
AA alkaline x 4
EOS-3 + PB-E2
Nickel-Metal Hydride Pack NP-E2
AA alkaline x 8
EOS-3 + Power Drive Booster E1
AA alkaline x 8
Eighteen user-settable Custom Functions
1. One 2CR5 lithium battery housed in the camera grip. 2. With Power Drive Booster PB-E2, 8 size-AA alkaline, Ni-Cd, or lithium batteries or Ni-MH Pack NP-E2. (Camera grip removed). 3.With Battery Pack BP-E1, 1 2 CR5 Lithium battery and 4 size-AA alkaline or Ni-Cd batteries(Camera grip removed)
With battery check button pressed, battery level displayed in four levels on the LCD Panel.
At 20°C-68°F 24-EX / 36-EX
At -20°C-4°F 24-EX / 36-EX
EOS-3+ Power Drive Booster-E1
AA Alkaline x 4
AA Ni-Cd x 4
AA Alkaline x 8
AA Lithium x 8
AA Ni-Cd x 8
EOS-3+ Power Drive Booster E1
AA Alkaline x 8
AA Lithium x 8
AA Ni-Cd x 8
Ni- Cd Pack E1
While using an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, 1/1000 sec. shutter speed, Eye Control, and continuous shooting mode, the following operations for each frame were executed: The lens was focused from infinity to the minimum distance and back, the shutter button was pressed halfway for 6 seconds, the picture was taken, and the settings were retained for 2 seconds. This operation cycle was repeated in continuous shooting mode and high-speed film rewind was used at the end of each roll.
Size (W x H x D)
161 x 119.2 x 70.8 mm / 6.3 x 4.7 x 2.8in.
780g/ 27.5 oz.(Excluding lithium battery)
Interchangeable with Date Back DB-E2 (sold separately).
Subject to change without notice. All the data are based on Canon's Standard Test Method.